Euro Symbol (was SDATA or UNICODE)

Michael Kay M.H.Kay at eng.icl.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 16:52:05 GMT 1998

Re: the Euro currency symbol:

>> TC304 have assigned it to Hexadecimal B1 in ISO 8859
See below

> The Unicode Technical Committee has decided to allocate a new character
> to be called EURO SIGN to the position 20AC.  ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2 is,
> I believe, yet to discuss this proposal.
I believe it is approved.

The following is from
http://www2.echo.lu/oii/en/oiinov97.html#Euro
dated November 1997:

"The Euro symbol has been assigned hexadecimal value 20AC in the ISO 10646
BMP/Unicode 2 code set. In Microsoft's 1251 Cyrillic code page it will have
a hexadecimal value of 88, but in the 1250 Eastern European, 1252 Western
European, 1253 Greek, 1254 Turkish and 1257 Baltic code pages it will be
assigned hexadecimal value 80. A proposed new part for ISO 8859, known
tentatively as Latin 0, suggests assigning 12/01 (hexadecimal B1) to the
Euro symbol, replacing the plus and minus sign. (Hexadecimal 80 is a
reserved postion in ISO 8859.) "

Mike Kay

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)