SDATA or UNICODE

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Tue Jan 27 17:13:45 GMT 1998

At 04:44 PM 27/01/98 -0000, Martin Bryan wrote:
>Chris, show me one product that supports &#20ac; - then try using
>€ on latest releases of Microsoft products. You'll then see why I made
>the distinction.

OK, I can bring up Navigator (I assume that IE can do this too) with a
Unicode font, e.g. Cyberbit,and insert the value € and the correct
character will display.  Today.  Try putting in € and see what happens.

In XML, ONLY UNICODE VALUES ARE CONFORMANT - vendors will soon learn
this and guess what, for the first time we'll have interoperable
documents; anyone writing a display driver for naive MS platforms
will soon learn that in Europe, they'd better map XML € to
128 for display.

Martin, I am dismayed that you of all people are counselling egregious
non-conformance in this manner on this forum. -Tim

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)