Resource Description Format and XML-Data

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Wed Jan 28 19:20:32 GMT 1998

At 01:36 PM 28/01/98 -0500, Tom Slee wrote:

>I am confused about the intent and overlap of the XML-Data and RDF
>initiatives. It seems to me that these tackle very similar problems (that
>is, using XML to deliver structured data rather than to deliver documents),
>in an similar manner, but that they are independent initiatives and
>contradict each other.

I think this perception is justified, and share in the confusion.

Note that XML-Data contains a DTD replacement facility which seems
oblivious to the existence of the RDF and, most surprisingly, the
RDF Schema groups in the W3C Metadata activity.  This is most surprising
since the group which authored XML-Data is heavily represented in both
these efforts.

Cheers, Tim Bray
tbray at textuality.com http://www.textuality.com/ +1-604-708-9592

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)