First try with Jumbo

David Megginson ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Jan 28 22:14:08 GMT 1998

Peter Murray-Rust writes:

 > I have had had *awful* problems with files/URLs under 1.02 (and I don't
 > know it gets much better later). I thought I'd fixed this one. The problem
 > is that not all interpreters/virtual machines seem to behave consistently.
 > I started development with (javac,java) under Solaris; then when I moved to
 > W95
 > ((javac|jvc)|(java|jview) problems arose. java/jview do not behave
 > consistently - some have backslashes, other have slashes in files/URLs.
 > Another problem is that java.net.URL(URL, String) seems to have bugs in
 > some implementations when URL is the current directory (I think this is
 > where the leading slash comes from). I *thought* I'd fixed it. I'll try to
 > revisit it, though I don't have a local UNIX system which makes it tricky.
 > I will have to wake one up.

You can pretty much always use forward slashes (solidus) in file URLs
-- I've had success with both jview and the JDK.  Here's the routine
that the latest version of SAXDemo uses to construct an absolute URL
when necessary (James helped out with some changes):

  /**
    * If a URL is relative, make it absolute against the current directory.
    */
  private static String makeAbsoluteURL (String url)
    throws java.net.MalformedURLException
  {
    URL baseURL;

    String currentDirectory = System.getProperty("user.dir");
    String fileSep = System.getProperty("file.separator");
    String file = currentDirectory.replace(fileSep.charAt(0), '/') + '/';

    if (file.charAt(0) != '/') {
      file = "/" + file;
    }
    baseURL = new URL("file", null, file);

    return new URL(baseURL, url).toString();
  }

 > The number of possible combinations I have to test is:
 > (java95/jview95/Netscape95/MSIE95/javaUX/NetscapeUX/MSIEUX/javaMAC/NetscapeM
 > AC)*(jvc/javac).

I expected the same with AElfred, but was surprised to find that it
wasn't the case -- the difference, I think, is that I wasn't working
with a GUI.

 > 		- using full URLs instead of scene1.sgm (I think it should work without
 > the ancillary files)

I tried that, but without luck.

 > 		- or load jumbo without a file on the command line and use File | "Open
 > XML" to read in scene1.sgm

I get a null URL error in a popup dialog (but see below).

 > 		- or try from a different directory. ("." in the classpath may cause
 > problems)

The last two together work -- if I give an absolute file URL _and_
start outside of JUMBO's home directory, I can view my document.  Nice
browser.

Just a minor note -- I get a class cast error when I try to enable
"Show #PCDATA".

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca