compliance with XML advancements

Lisa Rein lisarein at finetuning.com
Mon Jul 6 17:49:10 BST 1998

At the risk of giving the false impression that this is the proper forum
for general questions of this nature (which I don't believe it is), I
will answer your question, only because due to the last couple of
stories I've written, and the number of people's opinions whom I have
asked this exact question that have confirmed its answer, that i feel
uniquely qualified to do so...

:-)  i am a proxy, if you will

What it will be very important for BOTH Netscape and MS to do with their
browsers is make sure that an architecture exists where the necessary
mechanism to "plug in" (for lack of a better word) such components for
the interpretation of such DTDs, whatever they may be.

Let me say the same thing another way.

In addition to the "built-in" xml parser (expat for mozilla) (the
different flavors of msxml for ie -- two at this point i believe -- that
will be "built-in" to ie5) -- in addition to it and/or them, there will
have to be an extensible capacity "built-in" to each client so that
these emerging xml-based languages can do their thing in the browser.

Yes, to my knowledge, both MS and Netscape are aware of this.
(or at least they are now :-)

lisa rein

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)