XLF: Legacy Log Problems

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Fri Jul 10 00:50:29 BST 1998

Steven Champeon wrote:

> Are you assuming that the XML parser should be able to analyze the
> logfiles and produce reports on them as well? Seems like a lot to
> ask of a parser...

No, I simply meant that such an application shouldn't have to
parse PCDATA content to make very ordinary and reasonable
discriminations.  PCDATA should be reserved for text strings
meaningful only to human beings.  We already have to have an
XML parser in every XLF analyzer, that's a given.  But there
shouldn't have to be any other kind of parser too.

IMHO.

> I'm just concerned that any effort to standardize
> on an XML-based logfile format will be rejected if it means the
> admins of larger servers have to run out and buy Clariion disk
> arrays just to hold their new 10x logfiles.

Let 'em use on-the-fly gzipping and gunzipping, then.  Layering
that over a generator or a parser is very easy.

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)