XLF: Legacy Log Problems

Martin Gleeson gleeson at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Jul 10 02:13:57 BST 1998

Hi Folks,

On 9/7/98, John Cowan wrote:

>Steven Champeon wrote:
>> I'm just concerned that any effort to standardize
>> on an XML-based logfile format will be rejected if it means the
>> admins of larger servers have to run out and buy Clariion disk
>> arrays just to hold their new 10x logfiles.

>Let 'em use on-the-fly gzipping and gunzipping, then.  Layering
>that over a generator or a parser is very easy.

This is the one concern I have with XLF. I already do the above with my
web log analysis tool, pwebstats. And that's the problem - for example,
the logs from our proxy server are 600Mb per week, gzipped, -9, and
increasing. Whilst one of my next tasks is to have pwebstats handle
incremental updates, it still shows the scope of the problem, especially
for those who may need to keep a permanent copy of their logs for whatever
reason. An order of magnitude increase in size creates difficulties when
a feature of many logfile formats is representing the necessary information
in the smallest reasonable space.

Cheers,
Marty.
--
Martin Gleeson
Webmaster, The University of Melbourne, Australia.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)