File extensions

Jeffrey Ricker ricker at xmls.com
Sat Jul 18 03:05:59 BST 1998

Has anyone given any thought to XML file extensions?

I know that the !DOCTYPE instructions tells the processor what kind of
document it is, but I can't see expecting the file operating system to go
that far. The extension ".xml" does not seem to be used much. We see
instead things like ".cdf". I can not imagine that it is feasible to allow
every document type (DTD) its own file extension.

Perhaps we could have a double layer of file extensions. The last extension
would be ".xml" preceded by an extension for the document type. For
example, "mymetadata.rdf.xml" and "mychannelinfo.cdf.xml". These SECONDARY
file extensions could be 2, 3, or 4 letters.

Perhaps XML-valid HTML documents could be "mypage.html.xml"? On second
thought, that's probably silly.

 Any ideas out there, kids?

Jeffrey Ricker
ricker at xmls.com