Namespaces on Attribute Names

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Mon Jul 20 21:11:16 BST 1998

Murray Altheim writes:

 > This of course required that I add a namespace variable to my class def.
 > for Element. I have not yet added any support for namespaces on attributes,
 > as I can't understand the rationale.

Can't understand, or don't agree with?  I have to admit that I have
been uncomfortable with the idea myself.

In any case, I'll offer myself as a victim to your pseudo-Socratic
feigned ignorance, and suggest that namespaces on attributes are meant
to represent a kind of implicit multiple inheritance, where the
derived class is never explicitly named.  Compare the following (the
CRTC is the Canadian government's big-brother media supervisor -- if
anyone wants to get me started on the CRTC, send private
correspondence):

XML Excerpt
-----------

  <doc id="xxx" LC:refNo="BS123.456 1998" CRTC:rating="family">
   [...]
  </doc>

Conceptual Equivalent in C++
----------------------------

  class LC
  {
  public:
    String &getRefNo ();
  };

  class CRTC
  {
  public:
    String &getRating ();
  };

  class Doc
  {
  public:
    String &getId ();
  [...]
  };

  // This class is implicit.
  class MyDoc : public Doc, public LC, public CRTC
  {
  [...]
  }

All the best,