XSchema: Notation attributes

Ron Bourret rbourret at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Jun 5 11:02:31 BST 1998

Toby Speight wrote:

> From your DTD:
>
> Ron> <!ELEMENT NotationType (NotationValue+)>
> Ron> <!ELEMENT NotationValue (#PCDATA)>
> Ron> <!ATTLIST NotationValue
> Ron>           Notation IDREF #REQUIRED>
>
> In particular, NotationType contains a list of Notation values.  Why?
> What's wrong with the following?
>
> <!ELEMENT NotationType EMPTY>

1) Oops -- I got this right in the XML file but not in the DTD.  NotationType is
now EMPTY.

2) Notice that the Notation attribute is type IDREF.  This is valid only if
notations themselves must be unique (and hence can be identified by an ID
attribute).  I posted a question about this yesterday but have not yet received
an answer.

-- Ron Bourret

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)