New expat release

James Clark jjc at jclark.com
Sun Jun 21 12:12:35 BST 1998

A new release of expat is now available for ftp from

  ftp://ftp.jclark.com/pub/xml/expat.zip

The zip file includes both sources and Win32 binaries.

Expat is a high-performance, fully conforming, non-validating XML 1.0
parser toolkit written C.

A significant amount of new functionality has been added since the
previous release, which means this is still a beta release.  I don't
plan to add new features before the production release; I plan that any
future beta releases will just fix bugs.

There is a callback that allows an application to add to the set of
encodings that expat supports.  There's an example of using this to hook
into the Windows code page support.

It can be compiled to pass characters to the application in Unicode (ie
as a sequence of 16-bit codes) rather than in UTF-8.

There are new callbacks to provide information about unparsed entities
and notations.

There are new functions that allow an application to determine the
location (line number, column number, byte index) of all events.

There are some hooks to allow applications to have access to the raw
markup of the document along with the parsed result; the goal is to
allow the writing of XML-to-XML filters that don't normalize the
document markup.

Since xmlwf is getting a little complicated, I've added a simple sample
program in the sample directory.

James

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)