XSchema naming (was XSchema Spec Section 2.4, Draft 2)

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 25 19:05:48 BST 1998

At 13:40 25/06/98 UT, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>Ron Bourret wrote:
>>Assuming Simon is willing to live with the potential search-and-replace
>>tedium the results might cause, I'm happy to put this up for a vote.
>
>I'm very willing to do this; capitalization has been an issue for me
>throughout.  Whatever we do, I want it to be _consistent_.

Absolutely.

>>- The names themselves, which are currently taken from the XML spec
>>in hopes of some recognition, but could also be simplified
>>(ElementDecl -> Element, AttDef -> Attribute) as some members
>>of this list have suggested.
>
>I can go either way on this one.  I thought sticking to the spec might
>encourage consistency, but I don't think the labels in the spec are in
>widespread usage.  Element instead of ElementDecl is fine with me.

We could argue that when XSchema is finished the labels *will* be in wide
usage :-). The serious point is that if we have an element/attribute which
maps precisely onto a Name described in the spec, then we should use that
name and its (prose) semantics).  But I'm not religious on any of this.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)