Software specifications (was Re: announce : innovation Partners and CEI announce IRIS XML DTD GENERATOR beta 1)

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Sun May 3 23:16:37 BST 1998

Thanks for the posting,

At 14:53 03/05/98 +0200, Alain DESEINE wrote:
>innovation Partners and CEI announce IRIS XML DTD GENERATOR beta 1

[... impressive specification of XML tools ...]

I couldn't immediately see a statement of what platforms and/or language
this system uses (Please forgive me if I've missed it). I suggest that
those posting software announcements on XML-DEV include a very short
summary of attributes such as:
	- platform
	- or language if it can run, or be compiled on multiple platforms
	- source availability
	- any usage or distribution restrictions
	- free or costs-money (no need to give prices).
	- any other software required (e.g. uses FOO-XML as a parser, BAR-DSSSL
for stylesheet support, etc.)

This helps some classes of user decide whether it is unnecessary to visit
the site (e.g. can't run on a MAC, etc.). Sometimes (not on XML-DEV :-)
with large downloads I have spent an hour or more (costs money) to find
that the kit could not run on what I have.

It also helps people like Robin Cover and many other who compile lists of
software and related resources.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg