XML & SGML

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Fri May 8 14:50:23 BST 1998

Tim Bray wrote:

> As for the rest of Eliot's remarks, right on.  In particular, the idea that
> you should start with XML see how far that gets you.  It's risk-free.

I think that this was always prudent. You, too, Tim. IIRC, the OED didn't
have a DTD, for example. It was essentially XML.

Varying levels of tool support for different features created a defacto
simple SGML/full SGML split, and it was very expensive to start walking up
the complexity ladder because tool support started to drop away. "Sorry,
I've got this really neat DTD for you, but you'll have to buy all new
software...and it isn't written yet." Some features in XML are already a
little ways up that ladder.

I think that Eliot, on the other hand, felt it was his personal duty to
use every SGML feature possible so that he would have an excuse to tell
vendors that their products were broken. :) That is good for the rest of
us, because he kept raising the bar, but it must have been very painful
out there on the bleeding edge. I think I'll continue to duck in behind
him.

Can we afford to feed that army,
 while so many children are naked and hungry?
Can we afford to remain passive,
 while that soldier-army is growing so massive?
  - "Gabby" Barbadian Calpysonian in "Boots"

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)