Proposal Announcement - XML DTDs to XML docs

Ron Bourret rbourret at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri May 22 16:03:31 BST 1998

Simon St. Laurent wrote:

> I'd like to announce the posting of an unofficial and incomplete proposal for
> the representation of XML DTDs as XML documents at:
>
> http://members.aol.com/simonstl/xml

I think one thing that has gotten lost in the discussion as to whether Simon's
proposal is even implementable is the usefulness of it if it is.  It will always
be the case that more people are interested in the data in XML documents than in
the DTDs.  Hence, the number of tools available for exploring the data and the
standards relating to these tools (e.g. SAX and DOM) will always be greater than
those relating to DTDs.  Simon's proposal, assuming it can be realized, erases
this difference, which is exceedingly useful to those of us who want to explore
DTDs.  While I think something like XML-Data is needed in the long run for data
type description and so on, I agree with Simon that a less ambitious subset is
very useful in the short run.

-- Ron Bourret

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)