W3C XML activities

Jon Bosak Jon.Bosak at eng.Sun.COM
Tue May 26 05:22:25 BST 1998

[Simon St.Laurent:]

| From what I can gather, XML, XLink, XPointer, and XML Namespaces are
| all projects of the XML Working Group under the XML Activity.  XSL
| appears to have its own Working Group under the Style activity. RDF
| appears to have its own Working Group under the Metadata activity.
| XML-Data, WIDL, and a number of other proposals are just that -
| proposals.
|
| Is this an accurate picture?

Yes.

The only further information I can add to that is that the XML WG is
working on a briefing package that will request the W3C Director to
include the following in our charter for the coming year or so:

   Finish namespaces

   Associate stylesheets with XML documents

   Specify DTD schemas

     Add features to DTD functionality (in particular, data typing
       and inheritance)

     Use instance syntax

   Define a formal data model for XML

   Provide for embedded binaries in XML documents

   Define standard behaviors for certain classes of XML User Agents

   Develop a syntax for validatable XML fragments

   Develop packaging and archive formats

   Split off XLL (XLink/XPointer) as a separate WG

I must emphasize that these items are what we intend to ask permission
to do, not what we've been approved to do.

Jon

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)