XSD: Proposed Goals

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Mon May 25 20:56:36 BST 1998

Peter Murray-Rust suggested:
>I'd also suggest we set goals a la X*L processes, etc.

The last few messages, particularly the interchange between Peter and Paul
Prescod, seem to have clarified what we're aiming for, which is considerably
less than my original proposal.  This is good; I think we have an excellent
chance of achieving these smaller goals.

Per the X*L processes, a proposed list of 10 goals follows.  I've called this
project XSD (Extensible or XML Structure Definitions) for now.  Structure
Definition Documents (SDDs) are the documents that contain Structure
Definition information, and XSD is the standard defining the structure of
SDDs.

1. SDDs shall use XML document syntax.

2. SDDs shall be transformable into an XML 1.0 DTD containing the same
structure.

3. SDDs shall be capable of representing the normalized element and attribute
structures defined in XML 1.0 DTDs.

4. SDDs shall be parseable, manageable, and manipulable using the same tools
used to parse, manage, and manipulate XML documents.

5. SDDs shall be easy to create and document.

6. SDDs shall be easy to use in combination with a parser to provide
structural validation of documents.

7. XSD shall include an XML 1.0 DTD defining the structure of SDDs.

8. XSD shall suggest mechanisms for applying SDDs to documents.

9. XSD shall include mechanisms for extending the information included in
SDDs, and prescribe limits on the behavior of programs using that extended
information.

10. The XSD specification shall be readable and clear.

This is a _start_.  Changes to language, meaning, order, terminology, etc. are
all welcome, as are additions.  Ten is traditional, but not required.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)