XSD: Proposed Goals

John E. Simpson simpson at polaris.net
Mon May 25 21:37:16 BST 1998

At 06:56 PM 5/25/98 UT, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
	[snip]
>Per the X*L processes, a proposed list of 10 goals follows.  I've called
this
>project XSD (Extensible or XML Structure Definitions) for now.  Structure
>Definition Documents (SDDs) are the documents that contain Structure
>Definition information, and XSD is the standard defining the structure of
>SDDs.
>
>1. SDDs shall use XML document syntax.

Just a nit: Seems to me that we'd want to use something other than
"Structure Definition Documents" and "SDD" to refer to these beasties.
Anyone who's been following the discussion so far (or who manages to
unearth it all from the hypermail) will not confuse it with the standalone
document declaration, but the potential is there for everyone else.

I'm thinking especially of the poor soul who comes upon the Structure
Definition Document SDD months from now, and does a hypermail search on the
acronym. Result set would include a lot of stuff from past months that has
to do with the OTHER SDD -- particularly the debate about whether it's
needed or even useful at all. Making the discussion unambiguous would
require constantly qualifying "SDD" with constructs like "I mean the kind
that convey information about a document's structure" or "XSD SDDs." Yuck.

No suggestions immediately spring to mind.... Maybe "DSDs," for Document
Structure Definitions?

John E. Simpson			| It's no disgrace t'be poor,
simpson at polaris.net		| but it might as well be.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)