XSD: Proposed Goals, Rev. 2

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Wed May 27 22:55:03 BST 1998

At 14:17 27/05/98 UT, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

>1. SDDs shall use XML document syntax, using element nesting and
attributes to
>describe all constraints that may be verified by a processor using XSD.

In case it helps give an idea of the level that I am aiming at, here is
what I use in JUMBO1 for 'DTD' management:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<CML>
  <ELEMENT NAME="ARRAY">
    <CONTENT>(#PCDATA)</CONTENT>
    <ATTLIST TITLE="BUILTIN">
      <NAME>BUILTIN</NAME>
      <TYPE>CDATA</TYPE>
      <DEFAULT>#IMPLIED</DEFAULT>
      <HTML TITLE="HELP">
<P>
BUILTIN is a generic attribute for defining the semantics of
an ARRAY or XVAR element. More later.
</P>
      </HTML>
    </ATTLIST>
    <ATTLIST TITLE="TYPE">
      <NAME>TYPE</NAME>
      <TYPE>CDATA</TYPE>
      <DEFAULT>#IMPLIED</DEFAULT>
      <HTML TITLE="HELP">
<P>
TYPE is the data type of the Item (e.g. INTEGER);
</P>
      </HTML>
    </ATTLIST>
    <HTML TITLE="HELP">
<P>
ARRAY (DXN):                   (superclass DrawableX_Node)
</P>
<P>
A container for a simple homogenous list of primitive objects (STRING, FLOAT,
DATE, URL, etc).  ARRAYs have BUILTINs associated with them in both TecML
and CML.
</P>
<!-- ... deleted ... -->
    </HTML>
  </ELEMENT>
</CML>

This was pre-namespaces... and also was not verifiable (although there
*was* a DTD somewhere for this syntax I didn't use it :-). Also at that
stage I simply put in the ASCII content spec whereas later I parsed the
spec and included it as a subtree.

I would now suggest that the elementType names were taken directly from the
spec, etc.

	HTH

	P.

net connection