Meta-reply (was Re: XSchema Question 1: RDF)

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Fri May 29 19:35:51 BST 1998

Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
>How do you want us to answer? the SAX process worked very well. It
>consisted of general discussion on the list *without unnecessary
>repetition* and **private e-mail** to the coordinator

I'd like to see as much of this discussion as possible handled publicly.  I
don't mind private email if people feel the need.  I can answer 'embarassing'
questions privately, as well as post opinions to the list for people who feel
the need to ask a question or make a suggestion anonymously.  Because of the
'borderlands' nature of this proposal (as Robin Cover put it well), politics
may be more interesting than usual.

I've been pleased with the results so far.  About a third of the email has
been private, mostly from lurkers, and there hasn't been much repetition.

>I assume that at
>some stage Simon might generate subquestions with yes/no answers and that
>these would go directly to him. Right?

The RDF issue is large and tangled, and I don't think we can break through
this one with yes/no questions, at least not yet.  I really wish we could, but
this is a complicated issue.  Future questions and subquestions will have a
much more binary flavor to them.  If no one comes up with an answer to a
question, I'll make a proposal and let people shoot at it.  RDF seems like too
hot a potato to do that with, at least at first.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)