XSchema: Goals, final version

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Fri May 29 19:41:33 BST 1998

Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
>Later on 'documents' is used to represent both XSchema documents and
>document instances. Would 'XSchemas' be a useful shorthand for 'XSchema
>documents'?

I think it would be.  For right now, I was just trying to achieve some
separation between the spec (XSchema, formerly XSD) and the documents created
using that spec (XSchema documents, formerly SDDs).  If XSchemas feel like
comfortable usage, go with it.  I don't want to change the goals document at
this point, but we can modify it in the final draft to accomodate actual
usage.

>What I meant by 'authoring support' is that XSchemas should provide support
>for creating document instances (e.g. helping to constrain attribute
>values, content, etc.) This clause might look as if 'authoring support'
>applied to the XSchema rather than the instance.

You're right; the English language is less than precise, and I need to get
better at precision.  I actually like the idea of providing authoring support
of some kind, if only descriptive information, in the XSchema that defines
XSchemas, but that isn't what we had in mind.  I think the double meaning will
be all right for now.  We can keep this in mind throughout the spec-building,
though.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)