html, xml

Juliane Harbarth jhb at software-ag.de
Thu Nov 5 15:10:32 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Kasetty, Ramesh <ramesh.kasetty at trane.com>
To: 'xml-dev at ic.ac.uk' <xml-dev at ic.ac.uk>
Date: Thursday, November 05, 1998 2:43 PM
Subject: html, xml

Kasetty, Ramesh >I have knowledge of HTML and trying to learn XML. Can
anyone tell me the
Kasetty, Ramesh >difference between HTML and XML and where XML can used.

HTML uses a fixed set of tags, to specify display properties for those
things
enclosed in the tags. XML allows the definition of tags that enable the
specification of semantic properties.
In my opinion XML offers the great benefit of being more processable by
machines than HTML. That especially holds for retrieval. Who wants to know
whether a certain document contains '1234' within <P>-Tags ? But a
question like 'which document contains 1234 as an Employee-Number'
makes sense.

Juliane Harbarth
Technical Consultant
Software AG Germany