MS and XSL (was XML and IE5 beta PR2)

Simon North north at Synopsys.COM
Fri Nov 6 09:03:45 GMT 1998

[Jon Bosak:]

> It's my impression that Microsoft sees XSL simply as a way to do tag
> transformation and that their strategy for XML display is to use XSL
> to transform XML tags to HTML tags.  This means, of course, that you
> will not be able to use Microsoft tools that support XSL to do any
> formatting more complex than what can be expressed using HTML+CSS.

That is more or less the impression that I took away from my
visit to Redmond for the XML Summit in July, with a few
qualifications.

As I understood it, Microsoft are committed to using XML as an
intermediate format ("islands of data"). DHTML is the display tag
language of choice. XSL is only of interest in so far as it can be
used to transform XML into DHTML, but XSL is not necessarily the
language of choice because (and this is borne out by the fact the IE5
appears to be fully DOM compliant) the DOM gives as much, if not more
accessibility.

It was my understanding that MS were heavily committed to CSS, but
they intend to extend  it to support 'CSS behaviors', which
allows executable code to be attached to elements via style sheets.
This would promote re-usable code, would ease the 'coder
bottleneck' that currently seems to threaten web page production
efforts, and would introduce a form of 'no-install' software (a
contender for Java applets?).

Simon North.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)