XML Search Engine

len bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Sat Nov 7 00:08:44 GMT 1998

Tim Bray wrote:

> Lesson: there's not much juice in that business. XML might cheer
> things up a bit, you never know.  There are any number of decent
> free search engines you can run with either Apache or NT servers...
>
> If you're doing relational search, most relational vendors (Oracle,
> Informix, etc) have some sort of full-text add-on that usually
> works OK.

Thanks Tim.  Yes, it is hard to make any money off of any
core technology in the computer business.  The hardware are
toasters and the software are bread.  OTOH, folks still pay
a stable price for well-made sandwiches, so in the content
business, (eg, the stuff in the cells), we have to find
ways to let them "have it their way".  Analysis is still
a pretty good mustard.

Thanks to everyone who sent me URLs today. I very much appreciate
it.  The reading has been most interesting.

len

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)