Sun XML Lib

David Brownell db at Eng.Sun.COM
Thu Nov 12 00:41:18 GMT 1998

XML Doubts wrote:

> ....main(String args[]){
> XmlDocument doc;

(presumably, "doc" got assigned ... !)

> Element root = doc.getDocumentElement();
> System.out.println("\nRoot: "+root.getTagName());
> System.out.println("\nFirstChild:"+
>                     (root.getFirstChild()).getNodeName());
> }
> The first print statement prints the root element, but the second print
> statement prints #text which is not what I want. I want to print the
> node name.

The node is text, and the DOM spec says that its name is "#text" ...
I'd suspect it's a text node with whitespace (a blank line) if the
input is your next example.  Try printing the names of each child,
and you'll probably see "#text", "line", "#text".

The next release (no, I won't say when!) should make it easier to
ignore whitespace that you really don't want to see, but which the
XML spec requires you to be able to see.  (Like that blank line.)

> Like for example in the XML file
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <poem>
> <line>Roses are red,</line>
> </poem>
>
> The first print statement prints "poem"
> The second print statement prints #text.
> I want "line" to be printed.

You'll need to get the first node that's an element, rather than
the first node ... since the first node is whitespace.

> And also how do I get the text inside the "line" tag.

Get the (element) node whose name is "line".  Get its children.

> This might be trivial question but I am just a beginner. So bear with
> me.
>
> Can anyone help.

These questions relate to DOM -- you'd surely have the same questions
with any DOM implementation!  Sun's package has no tutorial as yet,
but there are probably some on the network somewhere.

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)