using xml/xsl/dom together

Dave Halls daveh at persimmon.co.uk
Fri Nov 13 10:26:17 GMT 1998

Mark D. Anderson wrote:

> related to the "where are we" thread, i'm wondering if there
> is enough in xml/xsl/dom to have a web page where a user can
> click on their desired appearance, and the page re-arranges, suppresses
> undesired content, and perhaps changes style?
> all on the client side? (i mean in theory based on specs).
>
> furthermore, could the xml have links inside, and based on the
> chosen style, the UA would decide to load and embed (or not)
> the linked-to resources?
>
> this capability roughly happens all the time on web sites
> (user "personalization"), but it isn't interactive on the page,
> and requires a roundtrip to the server every time to go fetch
> some pre-formatted html.

We put a demo up a year ago that does this on the client side using
XMLJ, our Standard ML-based XML processing library.
This runs on the JVM in the browser. Uses SAX or DOM-built trees.

See

http://research.persimmon.co.uk/mlj/demos/stylesheets/index.html

and

http://research.persimmon.co.uk/mlj/demos/stylesheets/about.html

for some blurb. Requires Netscape 4 or MSIE 4 (not Mac).

I've recently ported the combinator parser to Java for the
non-functional programmers. When I get shot of the short-term
things I'm doing (I can't believe it's a year since I did the demo),
I'll put something up to read/download. We've switched now
to server-side XML processing, I find it more interesting (my
opinion only of course) and there's loads to do. Also no hassle
with browsers, they really are the most shoddy pieces of software
ever written.

Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)