Topic Maps on SQL

len bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Sun Nov 22 04:43:11 GMT 1998

Steven R. Newcomb wrote:

> [Kacper Nowicki:]
>
> > There is this deep feeling in Object Database community, that XML and
> > dynamic content in general is task for us. XML structures are easily
> > repersented as objects with links/pointers to other objects and dynamic
> > collections of their nested objects, attributes, etc.
>
> Yes.  Ever heard of property sets?  These provide vendor-neutral
> information set models for "groves", the abstract object/node trees
> resulting from parsing and processing data in many notations,
> including XML, and including particular semantic models such as XLinks
> and topic maps that are best regarded as inheritable information
> architectures ("architectural forms") in XML.
>
> Recommended reading: http://www.prescod.net/groves/shorttut
>
> -Steve

Quite.  But the initial question regarded a project where the
implementation has been prototyped as a relational database.
The tables thus far are not complex so any database implementation
would do job currently.  However, one of the project members
expressed an interest in using XML and potentially topic maps.
Since the schedule is tight and members wish to present at a
winter conference, I have suggested that they continue working
with the relational model and inquire as to the feasibility of
exporting topic maps at a later time.  If the topic map
concepts are truly generalized, then exporting the properties
and values of the relational tables, relationships, queries
and scripting logic should enable such.

Steve brings up the point that I do wish would be looked at
seriously by other language communities:  the potential of
using property set/grove concepts to create information
standards that are independent of lexical/syntax representation
and implementation.  As the VRML community is debating the
concepts for the next generation of that language there
is much discussion of a change towards context-free grammars
and prototype based nodes (eg, the Balaguer paper).  XML
has been cited as an example to emulate.  There exists
an opportunity for different language communities to
converge on common solutions.

The cycles for creating or ammending standards are long enough and
Internet
Time cannot change that.  Furthermore, the period that the W3C can be
counted on to provide a stable base of languages given the
current proliferation of consortia and interests is passing. If there
is an opportunity to put the web language standards on common ground
and open up the technical frameworks for a more competitive
development environment, it should not pass without serious
consideration.

Len Bullard

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)