ISO 13wawa and proxy FPIs

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Sun Oct 4 03:04:01 BST 1998

I have a proposal for creating valid FPIs for references such as the
Sears catalog that Steven Newcomb brought up last week,
now that Eliot and I have argued to a standstill about the underlying
issues.  I think that this will address the concerns of both sides.

The problem as I now perceive it is that there are a variety of
non-SGML catalogs in the world, from the 1922 Sears catalog to the
King James Bible (considered as a chapter:verse -> text mapping)
which don't have authorities to assign FPIs for them, or where
the natural authority (Sears, Roebuck) isn't likely to do it.

The idea here is to allow proxy FPIs, created as ISO 13wawa (I don't
have access here to the actual number) FPIs that incorporate the
name of the catalog creator.  So the Sears entry would be:

	ISO 13wawa Proxy : Sears, Roebuck//NONSGML 1922 Catalog : Part 31247

and the text of John 3:14 would be

	ISO 13wawa Proxy: King James Bible//NONSGML John 3:14//EN

Now there would need to be some distinction, possibly involving + and -
somewhere, between *registered* proxies and *unregistered* ones.
Anyone could register, say, the Dewey decimal system or the Library
of Congress system, not just Mr. Dewey or the L.C., by registering
the proxy name with the ISO 13wawa registrar.  This would have to be
cheap, since we want registrations in the public interest.

The syntax might need to change to fit the SGML and ISO 9070 rules.

John Cowan					cowan at ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)