More namespaces perversion

David Brownell db at Eng.Sun.COM
Thu Oct 8 19:39:04 BST 1998

Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

> There have been warnings about the complexity of registries - I assume that
> the xml-ea1 props file is a registry?

What do you mean by 'registry'?  Currently it's just the simplest
convention for associating XML Beans ("XObjects") with element names;
and since it's a flat namespace, it can't plug in to XML namespaces.

Sometimes when folk say "registry" they mean some global database.
I design such things out of systems every chance I get.

>	 Personally I don't yet care. I'd much
> rather see us try to make this work than simple wait around. I'm game for
> whatever URI<->functionality mapping we choose (as long as it's simple) so
> that we can at least get some experience.
>
>         David's done it, I've done it - I assume there are others. It's part of
> XObjects and needs addressing soonest :-)

A draft I wrote up a while ago defined such bindings in XML syntax
something like this ...

	<bindings>
		<!-- a set of namespace-specific bindings -->
		<namespace
			uri="http://www.example.com/xmlbeans/app1">
			codebase="xmlbeans.jar"

		    <element name="reservation">
			<bean class="com.example.app1.Reservation"/>
			<!-- Bean tag actually lets you define properties
				and so on -->
			</element>
		    <!-- ... more element bindings in this namespace -->
		</namespace>
		<!-- ... more namespace-specfiic bindings -->
	</bindings>

That sketch omits two important features:  (a) importing bindngs
defined for other namespaces, (b) document-specific bindings, such
as for the "default" namespace or embedded in a document.

So for example a <?bindings uri="..."?> directive might be used to
associate a preferred set of bindings with a document.

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)