XML tools and big documents (was: Re: Is there a size limitation on XML file given to MSXSL as input?)

Tyler Baker tyler at infinet.com
Wed Sep 2 09:20:43 BST 1998

John Totten wrote:

> Take some time to review this little item.
>
>         http://www.equi4.com/metakit/index.html
>
>         I have been playing around with this and would like to link it to a DOM
> parser so that the tree was built in a persistence store rather than
> memory. Being dynamically configurable makes this an ideal vehicle for
> doing this. You could thereafter deal directly with the object store or
> even just the view (indexed into the store) and not repeatedly reparse
> the document. It also removes any limits on the size of the document
> that you could parse in a single pass.
>         If anyone succeeds in doing this then I let me know please.
>
>                                                 John Totten

This is an interesting idea that could probably not be too hard to implement in
Java using a read only random access file.  Basically, a stream based parser would
dump the contents of a very large document directly into some DOM format for a
random access file.  You would then have a special DOM implementation that is an
interface to this file.

Nevertheless, this sort of stuff would probably best be handled by some
comprehensive database which presents a DOM interface to the DOM data.  I think
this is probably what companies like Oracle and IBM may be up to, but who really
knows.  If you wanted to go to the extreme you could even represent an entire
directory service like NDS this way.

Tyler

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)