Licensing policies (was Re: ANN: Docuverse DOM SDK PR2

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Tue Sep 8 05:36:13 BST 1998

Peter Murray-Rust scripsit:

> My sincere thanks for this change of policy. It can and will make an
> enormous difference to many of us - otherwise we end up rewriting each
> other's software. It is a courageous decision - as was IBM's - and should
> be applauded.

Indeed! Unfortunately, the license is still very restrictive, disallowing
modification of the DOM SDK.

> I now have no problem with this, and am
> looking at the GPL for this purpose [comments would be much appreciated.] I
> think the quid-pro-quo would be to ask people to register their use with
> you and you may well benefit from this.

I would urge Don and you to look at http://www.opensource.org/intro/free, which
has information on why loosening restrictions can be beneficial for
everyone.

The Artistic License is a good substitute for the GPL and allows you
to keep control of the named product while allowing others to create
differently named variations.  See http://language.perl.com/misc/Artistic.html .

John Cowan					cowan at ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)