(Fwd) Re: Proposal to XML-DEV: Collaborative XML

Arne Haeckel ahaeckel at io-software.com
Wed Sep 9 11:03:24 BST 1998

Date sent:      	Wed, 09 Sep 1998 09:56:43 +0100
To:             	"Arne Haeckel" <ahaeckel at io-software.com>
From:           	Peter Murray-Rust <Peter.Murray-rust at nottingham.ac.uk>
Subject:        	Re: Proposal to XML-DEV: Collaborative XML

Thanks very much Arne - you have picked up exactly what I was getting at.
[Since I can't post to XML-DEV from where I am could you please forward
this reply?]

At 09:53 AM 9/9/98 +0200, Arne Haeckel wrote:
ARNE>Why server centric? Peer to Peer would do for a 2 players game.
>And a peer to peer XML based communicateion would show every
>one, that XML could be light weight and does not necessarily need
>expensive servers ;-)

This is the whole point. If we have a generic Peer to Peer system then the
work to be done on the server is minimal and one-off. [The example of chess
was simply to something that most people can relate to, but the more
exciting areas are domain-specific collaborative working.]

ARNE>My design would be: Java applet for a nice User Interface and input
validation,

Agreed.

ARNE>encoding of the new state in XML,

agreed.

ARNE>transfering this XML document to the other player,

agreed.

ARNE> decoding the state and presenting
>this again to the user with java applet. (There is still the question of
>wire protocol: http, RMI, CORBA, socket, ...)

This is my main point - I'm not experienced enough to know what the best
approach is. I am only looking for simple ones for proof of concept. I
expect http would do fine for a simple demo. What would be required?

[Personally I'd prefer to use Java applications simply because I haven't
yet got JUMBO2/Swing running in a browser in less than exponential time.] I
imagine they could be browser helper applications?

	P.

Interactive Objects Software GmbH
mailto:Arne.Haeckel at io-software.com
http://www.io-software.com
Basler Strasse. 63, D-79100 Freiburg, Germany
Tel: [+49]-761-40073-0, Fax: [+49]-761-40073-73

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)