[ANN] Kludgey workarounds for IE and Netscape

Tyler Baker tyler at infinet.com
Thu Sep 10 22:45:44 BST 1998

Andy Dent wrote:

> At 7:31 PM +0800 10/9/98, James Clark wrote:
> >An XSL processor can do other things with the result tree than just
> >write it out as XML.
> >
> >If you want to use XSL to produce some non-XML format, first you need to
> >devise an XML representation of it.
> Why?
>
> Why can't a product like our report-writer take
> - XML describing content
> - XSL specifying layout
> and produce, for example, a report preview window on a Mac?
> After all, if you regard a browser, it's doing something very similar.
>
> I don't see the need for the intermediate translation to another set of XML
> data, but there may be something I've missed in the XSL processing standard.

You might have an XML representation of Word files.  If you wanted to convert
content form an XML representation of Acrobat files, all you would need is a
stylesheet to convert the XML representation of Acrobat files to the XML
representation of the Word file.  This process would require an XSL processor and
a stylesheet and someone with no programming experience could actually execute
this process (they would write the stylesheet).  I think the idea of XSL is to
take the programming out of the conversion process from one data-model to
another.

Ty;er

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)