[ANN] Kludgey workarounds for IE and Netscape

James Clark jjc at jclark.com
Fri Sep 11 12:07:50 BST 1998

Andy Dent wrote:

> At 7:31 PM +0800 10/9/98, James Clark wrote:
> >An XSL processor can do other things with the result tree than just
> >write it out as XML.
> >
> >If you want to use XSL to produce some non-XML format, first you need to
> >devise an XML representation of it.
> Why?
>
> Why can't a product like our report-writer take
> - XML describing content
> - XSL specifying layout
> and produce, for example, a report preview window on a Mac?

It can, as I explained in the rest of my message. Your product doesn't
have to physically create the XML representation.  There needs to be a
XML representation specified because an XSL stylesheet specifies its
result as XML. XML is the interface language between XSL and and the
outside world.

James

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)