Undeclared elements error

Liam R. E. Quin liamquin at interlog.com
Thu Sep 17 08:45:18 BST 1998

A quick question about error messages...

The XML spec says (in section 3.2)
    An element type declaration constrains the element's content.

    Element type declarations often constrain which types can appear
    as children of the element.

    At user option, an XML processor may issue a warning when a
    declaration mentions an element type for which no declaration
    is provided, but this is not an error.

Should the following produce a warning?

    <!ELEMENT CHAPTER (LOCATION,DESCRIPTION)>
    <!--* error: LOCATION has not been declared *-->
    <!--* error: DESCRIPTION has not been declared *-->

    <!ELEMENT LOCATION (#PCDATA)>
    <!ELEMENT DESCRIPTION (#PCDATA)>

It seems to me that the intended interpretation is that the warning should
only be issued after all declarations have been processed, but this
is nowhere stated, and the interpretation suggested by my comments
above appears to be legal.

You could say that market forces would eliminate any such XML processor,
I suppose.

Has anyone implemented this warning/

Lee

--
Liam Quin, GroveWare Inc., Toronto;  The barefoot agitator
l i a m q u i n     at    i n t e r l o g    dot   c o m

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)