http://www.scripting.com/98/09/News21.xml

Avi Rappoport avirr at LanMinds.Com
Tue Sep 22 05:19:35 BST 1998

At 4:53 PM -0700 9/21/98, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> I had problems like this when I was dealing with (i.e. figuring it out to
> document it) a firewall.  The firewall came with a large menu of MIME
> types, many of which I'd never seen, but admins had to add new ones by
> hand.  text/xml and application/xml are the least of the problems to be
> faced; think of all the new types that will come out of standards built on
> XML.

I finally found some good sources for MIME type info.

the comp.mail.mime FAQ, part 4:

http://www.netmeg.net/faq/computers/mail/mime/04.html

A list of IANA media types:

ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/media-types
 (it's a text file, Netscape will display it)

A memo, RFC2376, "XML Media Types", July 1998, by Whitehead & Murata

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc2376.html

Hope these are useful to all.

Avi