Unplugged & Install-Friendly XML

Steve Muench SMUENCH at us.oracle.com
Fri Sep 25 14:22:33 BST 1998

Hello,

If one were building a product which used XML to write out
metadata about things, what is the recommended approach
to referring to a product-specific DTD in your XML
document instances given the fact that:

    1. A user will want to work on his files when
       not plugged into the Internet.

         I'm assuming this means that referring
         to DTD by http://company.com/xyz.dtd is
         not gonna cut the mustard.

    2. A user can install that product into any
       directory on his hard drive. In particular
       the product-specific DTD file could land
       up in the .\LIB subdirectory of an arbitrary
       "install home" that the user picks at
       install time.

Is there any way that I've missed in my read of the
XML spec which would allow a DTD to use a syntax like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE TopLevelThingy SYSTEM "file:/&INSTALL_HOME;/lib/jbo.dtd">

Where the value of the environment variable INSTALL_HOME
would be setup by the installer?

Thanks for any ideas...

 Steve  | XML Technology | smuench at oracle.com
 Muench |   Evangelist   | geocities.com/~smuench

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)