Unplugged & Install-Friendly XML

Richard Tobin richard at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Fri Sep 25 14:41:14 BST 1998

> If one were building a product which used XML to write out
> metadata about things, what is the recommended approach
> to referring to a product-specific DTD in your XML
> document instances given the fact that [...]

You could refer to the DTD by means of a public id which is known to
the application.  Other XML processors that don't understand that
public id will use the URL instead.

For example:

 <!DOCTYPE mydoc PUBLIC "-//MyCompany//My product//EN"
                        "http://my.company.com/myproduct.dtd">

Your application would recognise the id "-//MyCompany//My product//EN"
and supply a built-in DTD instead of fetching the URL.

Perhaps someone else could give better guidance on just how to construct
a suitable public id.

-- Richard

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)