XML and Objects

Bill la Forge b.laforge at jxml.com
Mon Sep 28 20:34:03 BST 1998

>> >I think a number of people on XML-DEV have a very similar requirement:
The
>> >Coins approach, the SUN early release of XML, XXX (Steve Withall) and
>> >JUMBO. We all want object functionality client-side. The balance between
>> >client and server may differ, but we need an element-object API.
>>
>> This can/should be built on top of the DOM, right?  -Tim

In coins v2, I've got 4 different kinds of objects/elements:

    1. Plain old DOM objects. Passive data holders.

    2. Objects which implement Element and the SAX DocumentHandler
        interfaces. Active and passive roles.

    3. Wrappers which hold beans. The wrappers implement Element and
        DocumentHandler. The Beans receive attribute values as bean
        properties and interact with other beans.

    4. Wrappers which hold CoinApplication beans. Same as 3, except
        that they are passed a reference to their wrapper when constructed,
        allowing them to access the entire DOM.

The Mint Utility has been rewritten using 2 and 4 (above).

The code for release 2 is available today... Documentation to follow.
 :-)

Bill
http://www.jxml.com/coins/download.html

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)