DTDs are just for validation (Re: Why Doesn't IE5 use theDTD to Validate?)

Clark Evans clark.evans at manhattanproject.com
Thu Apr 1 16:12:38 BST 1999

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:
> I suspect strongly that industry practice for XML will diverge as sharply
> as it did for HTML and SGML, leading to lots of 'practices' that render XML
> document sets mutually unintelligible to different processors.

Since market differentation is how companies
market their products, it is not in their best
interest to follow a standard all that closely
anyway.  With the current licensing practices,
this should not be new to anybody.  It dosn't
matter how good the standard is or how quicky
it is written down.  The market mechanism
will force industry practice divergance,
independent of the value provided.

Clark

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)