DTDs are just for validation (Re: Why Doesn't IE5 use theDTD to Validate?)

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Thu Apr 1 16:27:58 BST 1999

At 02:06 PM 4/1/99 +0000, Clark Evans wrote:
>Since market differentation is how companies
>market their products, it is not in their best
>interest to follow a standard all that closely
>anyway.  With the current licensing practices,
>this should not be new to anybody.  It dosn't
>matter how good the standard is or how quicky
>it is written down.  The market mechanism
>will force industry practice divergance,
>independent of the value provided.

I think we've all heard this line before, and I think it's time to stop
this train before it runs over anyone else.  If I hear the word
'innovation' one more time in defense of ploys that serve the companies
using them but wreak havoc on a computing community as a whole, I think I'm
going to puke.

Too bad the W3C has no teeth.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer