Between raw and cooked II: Are? DTDs are just for validation

David Brownell db at eng.sun.com
Sat Apr 3 06:04:08 BST 1999

Jonathan Borden wrote:

>     You misunderstand me. I understand that it is possible for validating
> and non-validating parsers to generate the same parse tree, what I am
> looking for is a specification that parsers need meet to *ensure* that this
> occurs. It is this specification that needs to be given an official standing
> for use by XML applications.

Would it be appropriate perhaps to have the default XML processing
in the Java platform work that way?  That'd cover at least one class
of applications ... :-)

I don't know too many folk who'd be upset at seeing this get changed
in the XML specification, however, except that it'd be an incompatible
change.

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)