recursion in XML parser

Gabe Beged-Dov begeddov at jfinity.com
Thu Apr 15 06:23:10 BST 1999

Marcelo Cantos wrote:

> Don't forget string handling.  C/C++ handle strings significantly
> faster than Java, and this is generally what one would expect to find
> in an application who's domain involves parsing XML.
>
> One other thing does perplex me.  I would have expected I/O bound
> behaviour to level Java and C/C++ rather increase the disparity.  I'd
> be interested to know the details.

Java does not expose many of the I/O capabilities that are synonymous with high performance.
Examples include memory mapped files and asynchronous I/O. Heck, it doesn't even expose
non-blocking I/O.

Even ignoring these ommisions, there are other issues with the core libraries that cause
lower performance. Allan Heydon and Marc Najork of the Mercator project (see url below) have
a posted a paper titled "Performance Limitations of the Java Core Libraries" that discuss
both string and I/O related problems (among others).

 see bottom of page at:

              http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/mercator/research.html

Gabe Beged-Dov
www.jfinity.com