ASN.1

Hutchison, Nigel nwoh at software-ag.de
Fri Apr 16 16:57:20 BST 1999

[Nigel Hutchison]   I had some experience recently in trying to devise a RPC
XML DTD which was nice and compact. So I did also sorts of tricks with short
tag names, repetition conventions etc etc. This had the effect of
iincreasing the creation and parsing code significantly. I imagine that
there is a considerable footprint and CPU penalty is this optimisation. II
also found the prospect of testing and debugging this quite daunting.     I
then realised that when I send and receive XML documents via my analogue
modem they are effectively compressed and decompressed by the hardware - so
I was wasting my time (in that scenario at least). I would have thought that
all cellphones would do compression and decompression when they send and
receive data - is that not so?

 I also found out that Mainframes have firmware supporting LZ compression
these days.
Regards

Nigel Hutchison