More chaos coming down the pike

Henry S. Thompson ht at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Mon Aug 23 11:39:54 BST 1999

Mike Spreitzer writes: [A daunting summary of XML <-> data model
options, plus a plea for restraint/standardisation]

Amen!  In my talk last week at XML DevCon in Montréal I made this
point from a different perspective.  I observed that just as
historically SGML was viewed as an interchange format for documents,
now we have documents being viewed as an interchange format for data.

It follows that the place we need standardisation is at the interface
between document infoset and application infoset.  Since XML Schema is
where document infoset structure is being defined and constrained (for
any given document family), it makes sense to me to see the
DocInfoSet<->AppInfoSet relation specifiable as part of, or addendum
to, an XML schema.  My tentative conclusion as to how to do this: XSLT
templates (NOT template rules) utilising the element extension
mechanism.

ht
	    Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht at cogsci.ed.ac.uk

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)