Searching XML

Avi Rappoport xml at searchtools.com
Tue Aug 31 20:38:44 BST 1999

At 3:04 PM +1200 8/31/1999, Warren Hedley wrote:
>Hey team
>
>I have a number of HTML and XML files that are used to generate
>our website. We want to add search functionality to this site,
>so that we can look for keywords and text.
>
>It has proven too slow to search through all of the files, so
>the method I suspect we would use, would be to generate an
>additional database containing all of our main data (perhaps
>all words longer than 4 letters), that we could quickly look
>through to generate search results.
>
>Does anyone know of an implentation of search functionality
>along these lines (Perl modules would be nice.) Or can anyone
>suggest a better plan of attack?

If you want to look for simple keywords and text, without recognizing
any fields other than <title>, you could modify any of the free Perl
scripts that create index files, such as Matt's Simple Search, Selena
Sol's, Xavatoria, etc. (see listings on my site at
<http://www.searchtools.com/tools/tools-perl.html>).  For larger
sites, Ultraseek also recognizes XML:
<http://software.infoseek.com/products/ultraseek/ultratop.htm>.

Best of luck,