Some questions

Thomas B. Passin tpassin at idsonline.com
Fri Dec 3 03:25:56 GMT 1999

Walter Underwood wrote:
> Here are stages of having the info (content) that you want,
> ordered in increasing amounts of wasted time.
>
> 1. I have the information.
> 2. I know where the information is.
> 3. I know it exists, but I don't know where it is.
> 4. I don't know if it exists.
>
> Only the last two need some sort of metacontent or finding aid.

I'd add one more:
5. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but I'll probably know it when
I find it.

This could be analogous to browsing in store looking for a gift, which you
vaguely thought might be a toaster, and discovering a bread machine.

With the size and complexity of the web, making (5) work better would be a
great boon.

Tom Passin