SAX/C++: First interface draft

Steinar Bang sb at metis.no
Mon Dec 6 16:49:41 GMT 1999

> I think this problem usually can be managed by choice of include
> path, assuming you have source code for the SAX library.  If the
> include directory for the ObjectSpace headers is found before the
> include directory for MSCVC++ standard library when you compile both
> the SAX library and application code, the problem with broken parts
> of the MSVC++ library version of iostream should be avoided.  But
> this approach does not work if you want to use someone else's binary
> of the library.

No, this is not the problem.  The problem is that Standards<ToolKit>
does not work with the standard C++ library iostream implementation of
MSVC++.  This implementation is in the std:: namespace.

Instead it works with the old iostreams which are _not_ in the std::
namespace.

Ie. if I use std::istream, I get the incompatible iostreams.

The problem can _maybe_ be solved by ditching Standards<ToolKit> in
favour of the STLport version of SGI STL.

But suggesting to my coworkers that I spend time on this, when the
current Standards<ToolKit> setup is working, would be met with
incomprehension.