need clarifications on XPath vs pattern match

Lisa Rein lisarein at finetuning.com
Tue Dec 14 01:09:23 GMT 1999

okay so is the conclusion of all of this is that:

1) XSLT's patterns MUST be XPath expressions

and also

2) I was WRONG when I said that was not the case earlier because:

Even when the value of a simple match pattern is nothing more than an
element name, that in itself is an XPath expression (being evaluated
from the root element, by default -- unless another context is
explicitly stated somewhere in the stylesheet).

I just want to make sure that this is a done deal.  It's a pretty big
issue for there to be confusion about, if ya think about it. When I
realized I couldn't say "yes" or "no" without thinking for a minute, I
was a bit surprised.  It should be a simple question with a simple yes
or no answer. This isn't one of those gray areas, is it?

With all that in mind, I ask again to the group:
Are we all in agreement here?  (with the above statements 1 & 2 above)

Just checking :-)

thanks,

lisa