need clarifications on XPath vs pattern match

Didier PH Martin martind at netfolder.com
Tue Dec 14 03:10:47 GMT 1999

Hi Michael,

Michael said:
Ok; the introduction to XPath also states:
    "The primary syntactic construct in XPath is the expression. An
    expression matches the production Expr. An expression is evaluated to
    yield an object, which has one of the following four basic types:

	 * node-set (an unordered collection of nodes without duplicates)
	 [...other basic types...]

That enough?

Didier reply:
I guess that yes. And I guess that we should interpret it in such ways that
a node could be of any node type (since there is no explicit restrictions on
the node types). Thus, that a node-set is an unordered collection of nodes
without duplicates. And that the collection can contain any node type. Now,
I guess that the possible sequence of nodes depends on the particular
information set used. David, what are you doing, we need some precision from
you here or at least some indications that we are or not on the right track.

Many thanks to Lisa and Michael to help me clarify this stuff.

Cheers